Thanks again. By the way, I don't believe he was tested for HPV - will ask the oncologist tomorrow. I don't recall - what is the significance? His diagnosis is Right Tonsillar Carcinoma, Stage T3N1M1, AJCC Stage IVC. Disease Site - right tonsil and neck nodes. After the surgery the report said this was a poorly differentiated squamous cell carcinoma. The PET after the surgery revealed uptake in the right tonsillar region, extending to the posterior aspect of the right base of tongue, in a right level IIB lymph node and in the anterior aspect of the right lobe of the liver that was felt to be suspicious. A fine needle aspiration of the liver was positive for squamous cell carcinoma.

We're both in recovery - he used to be a heavy smoker and drinker. Has been in recovery for almost 17 years. My mom also had the same exact cancer; she, however, was diagnosed at 83 years old. She also was in recovery - stopped drinking when she was 70 yrs old and had not smoked for 30 years. She had surgery (partial dissection) at Sloan Kettering in New York, had 21 lymph nodes removed and one tested positive. She then had to go for radiation, which she was unable to complete and eventually she had to get a trachea put in - which was never removed and which she cleaned, cared for, until her death at 88 yrs old.

Thanks again to all of you - for your courage and the knowledge you so willingly share.

1/23/09:R tonsil/tumor removed; spouse diagnosed SCC Stage T3N1M1; 2/6/09 PET shows lesions in liver; 3/2/09 Liver biopsy: AJCC Stage IVC; 3/5/09 Begin 3 rounds of Cisplatin Cocktail; 4/9/09 PET of liver: clean; 5/21/09:PEG; 5/26/09: radiation; 7/6/09: Complete 30 rad tx: hospitalized until 7/10/09