Regaining salivia is very different for everyone. Mine was almost normal at about 4 months post tx. Im one of the very few lucky ones who do not need to carry a water bottle.

As far as taste goes, it was abotu the same around the 4 month point I was starting to come around and things tasted better. For several months everything tasted burnt, like ashes even water.

Once taste buds are gone I dont think they come back. This is why it varies so much for everyone. Some people have oral cancer on their tongue while others like me have it in their cheek or on their gums. This makes a huge difference as to where the radiation is focused which also will determine what damage is done. We all get scatter radiation, but the area that is the focal point is what will take the hardest hit.

Make sure your husband stretches his mouth open as wide as possible several times per day. He also needs to keep swallowing even with having the PEG tube. These things will help him avoid bigger problems down the road and make recovery so much harder.

Best of luck with the PEG tube tomorrow. He will be sore for a couple days. Please ask if you need any PEG tips. It took alot of trial and error before I was successful with mine.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma