My treatment was similar to your husbands, 3 rounds of Cisplatin and 35+ radiation treatments. I took time released oxycodone, anti-nausea meds and a sleep aid. I did have issues with getting sick a lot, I like Jim lost 70lbs through treatment.

The memory loss was the big kicker for me though, I didn't lose just conversations or plans, I lost whole days and weeks. There was a picture of me in the local paper with a group of volunteers for a fund raising event that I don't recall at all. In fact my memory is very fragmented from the start of the treatments and there are several instances like the one above.

I was also having issues sleeping and then having reactions to the sleeep aids I was prescribed. I was found several times outside hunting "ninjas", almost burning the house down at 3am cooking eggs when I hadn't been able to eat orally for months. I refused to take them any longer when my wife told me that I had put her in a rear naked choke hold one night during a "ninja" hunt. Months later when I was out of treatment, still on the pain meds though I was still having severe insomnia so I decided to take an ambien and again had an episode so I've totally written off sleep aides.

I am surprised at a few things with your husband though, pain meds are a necessary and I'm sorry but advil? Docs threw the book at me to control my pain and we finally have it tackled with the fentanyl duralgesic patches and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. Now opiods can cause nausea but I'll take an upset stomach over pain anyday. I'm also suprised that they haven't already got a peg tube in for your husband. I found that when I was fed via the tube I got nausea less then when I could drink my ensure, but that's probably just a personal thing for me. Now that I'm trying to rebuild my emaciated body, I can see why it is important to maintain the weight you have.

Good luck, keep you chin up and my thoughts are with you two.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.