You are so on with these statements Gary. I am very familiar with the Canadian health system, most of my extended family lives there, and trust me..........they pay a fortune for their health care! AND they have to wait forever to get treatment. Seems like we Americans always want to look at the bad side of everything...........we forget that we live in the most abundant country in the world. I agree that the uninsured need help, well, at least most of them do. But let me play the ass here and say that I know of many people that CAN afford insurance.......they simply choose not to. My husband and I raised a houseful of kids and we managed to pay for health insurance, it was a matter of having our priorities straight. We had friends on the same income as us, less children, that flat out refused to pay for insurance. Instead would go to the ER for everything and never pay the co-pays. They were not worried about their credit I'm assuming! And all of this is coming from me who just had to go to battle and go broke to have my last surgery. I realize it's not perfect, but 99% of the time, my health care needs are taken care of.

Last edited by minniea; 01-31-2008 03:30 AM.

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.