Karen,

You reminded me of the last couple of days we had with my father. He had been battling some chronic illnesses and was hospitalized for several weeks. It looked as though he was turning the corner and improving enough to go home soon, and we spent a Sunday afternoon with him watching a basketball game on the TV in his room that he really enjoyed. I assumed we'd be back at my parents' house in another week or so watching another game with them on TV.

Two days later he was in a coma after losing oxygen long enough to suffer brain damage. He never came out of it, and two days after that he was gone. A few hours later, I had my cancer diagnosis. That was the week that really reminded me how fragile life is.

Barb, I hope your daughter can begin to come to terms with her fear (if that's what it is), and deal with it head on rather than run from it.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989