Dear Mom to Many,
Your husband is on a very similar protocol as mine (only mine is not in a trial). Four anti-nausea drugs may sound like a lot, but as you are now learning, all nausea is not the same. It is confusing at first because it's all new, just like reading is to your little one. She won't learn all the words in a day so you shouldn't expect to learn this all at once.

Ask the oncology nurses/technicians to give you a detailed schedule--a calendar with the dates and types of chemo, and when he needs to take which drugs. Ours did this and it helped tremendously. We have found that there is little nausea with Erbitux, but there is more with Cisplatin, so there may be drugs he should take after the Cisplatin and different ones after the Erbitux. When in doubt, ask. Did they give you a contact phone number and an after-hours number? Don't be afraid to use those numbers and there are no dumb questions. Also, nausea may not always be that "I might be sick" feeling. Tom had acid reflux/heartburn and the technicians called that nausea.

Thanks for passing on the tip about Head & Shoulders for the rash. We'll try that. We find that the rash is the worst the two days after the Erbitux, then it starts to get better just in time for the next treatment! Could you share the names of the other creams they prescribed?

Hang in there! It is overwhelming, but you'll get into a routine with all of this new stuff--and soon it won't be new anymore. Don't try to remember all you've read here, just ask questions as you need to.

Joyce

CG to Tom dx SCC 5/06; right neck lymph nodes removed, dx right tonsil and tonsillectomy 6/06; rad and chemo started 7/06; treatment COMPLETED 9/06 33x rad; Erbitux (8x); Cisplatin (2);