Hi Hilary, and welcome.

My entire family was with me when I was diagnosed. We were all in a state of shock. It was the first day of spring break and we were leaving for a cruise the next day. I had a senior in high school and a sophomore. My then 17 year old was the most self absorbed child you could ever meet. She was also my best care giver. My 15 year old wears her heart on sleeve like her mom and had to toughen up. She pulled away from me somewhat during my treatment, probably waiting for the other shoe to drop as I was. Three years out we have all survived and thrived and are closer than ever. DH was and still is my biggest champion and possibly pushed me a little too fast in my recovery but, hey, the cancer is gone so you're healed, right?

We had our drama scenes "Mom might be dying, could you PRETEND that you care?" and the "I am packing my cheerleading bag and getting out of here..." but we all survived it, and developed some new family traditions from it. My favorite? "FLIPPING" - Joining mom and dad in their room on the king size bed and watching TV together as a family, flipping refers to when my husband has control of the remote. This grew to include their friends, boyfriends, whomever was around and was the best therapy ever. Still is! American Idol and mom and dad's room is the place to be!

Best to your family in what you are facing,

Sincerely,
Lisa

SCC Tongue T1N0M0\Dx 3-10-03
Hemiglossectomy, alloderm graft, modified neck dissectomy 4-14-03
3 Year Survivor!