Hillary,
I don't have any wisdom on the choices you were presented with and ultimately made. I'm brand new to this, having just posted for the first time earlier this week. I've got a stage 2/3 (depending on which doc I talk to) SCC tumor in the base of the tongue, Rt. side, too big for sugery. I'm starting radiation and Cisplatin chemo next week. I got my feeding tube last week in preparation.
I was interested in seeing that Jeff is taking the Amifostine, as they are planning on trying that with me. Apparently many cannot tolerate it but it sounds like he's doing ok with it?
Pretty much everybody on here has more experience and knowlege on this stuff than I do - I was only diagnosed a month ago. But I wanted to wish you and your husband well and hope to hear more about his progress. I'll only be about a month behind where he is in treatment. You'll find that most folks on here will offer the same, but you're welcome to contact me if you want to share notes or experiences.
All the best...
Steve

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.