Hi Yorky,

Welcome to the forum. Please don't beat yourself up for worrying. Cancer is a dreaded disease and it's only natural that you feel depressed and anxious.

I am from Canada and we have social medicine as well, similar to, though not exactly the same as the NHS. It does have wait times -- a referral from the GP to see the ENT may be five to six weeks, and the province of Ontario has a target of six weeks between a positive diagnosis to the start of treatment. There will be preparatory steps to go through, like a biopsy, getting a mask made (if case of radiation being ordered), and getting the teeth examined by a dental oncologist to ensure that the teeth are protected., etc. These fill up the time between the diagnosis to the start of treatment. We also don't get our own choice of doctors, but we can be confident that the doctors know what they are doing at the cancer centre. Really, my personal view is, we have to trust our doctors wherever we end up for treatment.

The holiday to Australia is a sticking point and the money paid is not the only issue. I am sure you and your family will be disappointed if you can't make the trip. However, is it possible to delay the start of treatment (if it is necessary) for a couple of weeks or get a refund from the travel agent if you have a doctor's note stating you are "unfit" to travel? I am not saying you will need this, but just in case, these may be possibilities.

I am hoping that you won't need our advice at all. It is that sometimes it is hard to see over that wall that's our fear.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.