As someone who also didn't go to a CCC for treatment (alhtough had radiation at a CCC extension), I agree that the hardest thing is feeling like any of my doctors are seeing all of me in terms of my health (let alone who I am as a person other than that). This has been compounded by fighting two cancers at once.

The medical oncologists' office has been the best for that, because they are or have been involved in the treatment of both cancers and they are just very thorough (the MO used to work at MSKCC and moved here, I heard, because he wanted to raise his kids here). They really try to find out how I'm doing in terms of pain, nutrition, speaking, swallowing, digestion, level of energy, and mental health every time I have a follow-up with them, although their offical involvement right now is basically doing followup blood tests and checking to see if the Tamoxifen is working OK for me.

I'm not sure, though, if I had gone to Dana Fraber or MSKCC for treatment, if it would be any better at this point since I'd still eventually have to find local people for followups.

Although I like my ENT and trust his clinical judgment a lot, when I went in for the swallowing test, he couldn't even recall the dose of Salagen he had (just) put me on or who my radiation oncologist was--he's just a little absent-minded and overly busy sometimes. I doubt he'd detect if I was depressed unless I burst into tears in front of him or something.

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"