Hi all - Well we had a follow up visit today at Moffitt. They checked his surgical sites - all doing well. Put him on a higher anti-biotic for his infection in his neck. The social worker did talk to him by himself to access his mental state. She did say he would benefit with therapy ( we already knew that) however, he is not open to it and he is just very mad at everything right now - himself, the situation, and the world. His oncologist said that how he is acting is about par with where she finds most of her patience that have his surgery.

It really does not help that he has not been able to sleep for a few days - non stop hiccups. He literally is walking around like a zombie all day and night. He is currently is on the anti depressants and I can see a more positive change about his attitude. However, the morphine which he is using for pain is making him very agitated and cannot sit still. The Dr said he still should take it as needed, but it is hard to gauge when that is. He has weaned himself off of them before, but at the moment it is almost like he is scared too. When he finally does, his hiccups keep waking him up. So at the moment he is a bit of a mess. However we did have a nice little car ride on Saturday to get a smoothie (which he had most of and could swallow it) His speech is not as good as it has been, and I think a lot of that has to do with mucus and swelling from the infection but he is talking a lot it is just harder to understand.

We found out we have an appointment next week to see radiation/oncology to go over the plan for the rads and chemo forthe next 8 weeks. They said he will start with the rads/chemp on 4/6. I really hope he is stronger, gained some weight and more stable with sleeping, and medication before that happens. I have to admit the radiation and chemo is scaring me more then the surgery. I really hope his body can take it.

Loving Caregiver for my boyfriend

3/14 SCC L tongue, partial glossectomy L tongue, rads L nodes
12/14 Recur Stage III
2/15 Front of tongue glossectomy, ND w/ free flap
4/15 begin 8 wks rads/3x chemo
4/20/15 Steve passed away