This is very difficult for you, Danielle. I felt the opposite to you boyfriend in that I had one of my sons travel from the UK to look after me for 6 weeks. I felt I had to be brave for his sake so that his stay with me was as pleasant as I could make it. That was a pretty good motivation. I also had a couple of big meltdowns in hospital where I wept for hours. I wonder if males find it harder to rinse their emotions in tears.

The other thing is that Boost, which I assume is a formula like our Fortisip, should sustain him. I've met a woman who lives on it. She's full of energy. I really don't think you need solid food to recover from surgery or be healthy in general.

I wonder if your boyfriend is taking you for granted because you are so loving and caring. Maybe if you told him what you have expressed here, he would wake up to himself. I know that depression is not something that the sufferer can necessarily shake himself out of. Nevertheless, it's possible that he could summon up a more positive attitude if he was kind of shocked into it.

The infection sounds ghastly. What a horrible thing to go through.

Has he talked to any survivors? Can the hospital link you to one?

You are such a good person to nurse your boyfriend through this as well as going to work each day. I wish you all the best.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.