[quote=Susan2992]Here's a link to the OCF website called The Biopsy Report: A Patient's Guide.

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/discovery-diagnosis/detailed-biopsy.php

This is an excellent summary of the biopsy process and terms. In the Specimen Processing section more information is given on frozen sections.

As I understand this procedure, during surgery the pathologist will examine tissue as it is removed by the surgeon, and if they see suspect tissue they will continue to remove tissue until they get wide margins of healthy tissue. This seems to me that it is to the patient's benefit to have this done, and will help minimize the amount of tissue removed.

I hope this helps![/quote]

Thank you so much for the link. I will read all about it tomorrow. We went to our appointment today regarding the surgery and he said exactly what you said that "during surgery the pathologist will examine tissue as it is removed by the surgeon, and if they see suspect tissue they will continue to remove tissue until they get wide margins of healthy tissue. This seems to me that it is to the patient's benefit to have this done, and will help minimize the amount of tissue removed"

I wish the first doctor did this so my brother wouldn't have gone through two surgeries but you live and learn right.

Last edited by ak123; 07-29-2014 10:35 PM.

22 YO Brother Dx 6/17/14 w. SCC R Lateral tongue
CT scan clear LN 6/20/14
HPV-, non-smoker
R tongue, right hemiglossectomy Surgery 6/24/14
(Not reoccurrence but went to NCCC instead
R neck dissection, tracheostomy, radial free flap, R tongue dissection surg 8/11/14
PT1N2B.3 positive lymph nodes out of 13
Extranodal extension present
9-15-14 IMRT (35x) & Cisplatin (2x) begun
10-21-14 peg in. 10-31-14 1 round of carboplatin
11-4-14 IMRT rx comp
3-27-15 Recurrent tumor in lymph node, L neck diss.
10-29-15 brother passed away, 23 yrs old