Sounds like your brother's cancer is very aggressive. The issue I see (please correct me if Im wrong) is your brother already had surgery to supposedly take the cancer out. But its only a short time later and the cancer is still there. Was this meeting with the original team of doctors? I would not feel comfortable going back to them since the cancer is still there and growing even after surgery to remove it.

To me what the doctors are advising to do surgery and get as much out as they can and after that they will see where he stands. If they can avoid rads they want to because of his young age. That is understandable due to all the damage radiation does and the lousy after effects that will last a lifetime.

In my opinion (without a medical background) they need to hit it hard with everything to get rid of it all this time. Surgery first then radiation with chemo to make sure they got every single cell. Yes there is always collateral damage with radiation but it will clean up individual cells that can so easily get missed. This is especially important due to how the doctor explained the location of the cancer. It sounds to me like its growing and beginning to spread at least thats their opinion after reviewing all the tests and charts. Its time to decide which route to take and what team to go with and get this taken care of before the cancer grows even more.

Wishing your brother, you and your entire family all the very best with everything!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma