Hi AK,

As you found out when you go for 2nd or 3rd opinions, you do get multiple options. From my experience when doing this, no two doctors agreed on what was the best option for me - it was ultimately my decision. In my case I based it on the research I did, the questions and answers I received from each doctor, and my gut feeling.

As many have pointed out, this can be an aggressive cancer, and you should seek treatment that is aggressive. Believe me you don't want to face a recurrence in a few years. There are no guarantees that whatever decision you make is the right one and unfortunately there is no "undo" button.

Gather your family around and make a list of pros and cons for each option. Ultimately it is your brother's decision as to what course of treatment he wants. The OCF forum members can share our experiences and what we've learned, but each person's situation is different and will react differently to treatment. Basically you need to select an option now and move forward. If your family believes in prayers, then pray for guidance and for a good outcome.

We will be here to help you, your family and your brother through this. Again, wishing you the best! It is not an easy decision to make.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)