Yes, I agree, great attitude, one that will do you well throughout your treatment.

I was lucky enough to not need a PEG tube. Having about 30 extra pounds at the start of rads I had plenty of extra weight to lose. And I lost all of it (plus 10 pounds more after treatment). I say this because every week when I saw the dietitian she would fuss at me for continued weight loss and then remind me that when you get to 10% weight loss they give you a PEG tube. I reached 10% (23.2 pounds) on my last day of treatment, so I dodged the tube.

You may already feel this, but the reason I had so much weight loss was not oral pain, it was complete loss of appetite. I had to force down 5 Ensures per day (and the RO wanted me to drink 7). That loss of appetite thing is a biggie, I could easily go a whole day eating nothing. I didn't ever do that, but there were more than one day I didn't eat much. Weight loss under those conditions is easy, too easy.

I don't know where you are in treatment, but if you're early in that phase, try to choke down some more food, because you won't want too later.

take care, keep fighting, but please, driving down 125 ... keep your eyes OPEN. (LOL).

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good