I Am Finished -

Last doctor day yesterday, last treatment this morning. The doc has remained very happy with my results all the way through treatment. I expect it's due to the absence of most of the radiation induced side effects that I have been able to dodge.

The only painful side effect I have is moderate mucositis inflammation of the mucous tissues in the mouth. Mostly on the left side, I've had it about a week. Oral lidocaine mouth swishes 5 or so times per day have kept it under control. Doctor says it should be gone in another week, so total duration about two weeks.

Still have some sunburn on left side of neck, but no blisters or open sores. Aquaphor twice a day keeps that under control.

Still have no taste for food, hence little appetite. But doing Ensure keeps me from withering away to nothing. I ended up losing about as much weight as they would allow before wanting me to get a PEG tube. I'm not proud of that, but my belly hasn't been this flat in 10 years. I have been able to keep all my energy, needing only one nap a day on average, but more importantly being able to continue to do all the things I did before treatment. I really didn't have to stop anything. I think that is the major reason I haven't worried about the weight loss.

Taste should start returning over next 1 to 6 months. I've been told sweet typically returns first, salty second, both of those probably within next 2 months. Savory, what I'll need to enjoy that cheeseburger could take as long as 6 months. I hope they haven't been too optimistic on those numbers, if they have, oh well, cross that bridge when I get there.

Treatment went very smoothly for me. I know many of you had a rougher time of it, but it doesn't go badly for everyone. I think keeping a positive mental attitude (thank you Bart and others) and the ability to not worry about every little thing played a big role in the results. But, perhaps the most important thing is having all my friends there keeping up with how treatment was going, offering their help every step of the way and in general, just being there for me.

I owe a lot of people a big debt of gratitude. The words "thank you" don't even come close. I only hope I can help each of you at some point in the future.

In a week I will start an Immediate Post Treatment thread. Until then this thread stays open.

Thanks again

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 12-27-2013 09:02 AM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good