Tony,

It appears you and I are in the same "want to know everything" club. I think you signed up for my journal. Most have not the time, interest, or patience to wade through it all but early on I decided to journal every day as best I could. For those wanting to walk in the shoes front to end will collect many tips to easing the journey.

Just so you know how far I went into the research end was that I finally said enough once I understood what the dosimetrist and medical physicist did beyond the hardware and software used. I even had my RO a bit off guard when I asked him which software they were using for mapping and dosing. Did get quite a good bit of info on how painting works, contouring, etc. I made the point since no cancer crossed the midline, maybe he could review and adjust the rads hitting the salivary over there. Whether they made any further adjustment or not, my saliva production throughout was relatively good, low point maybe 50%. 5 months post it is 95% back. Just a few really dry breads and overcooked chicken breasts etc stuff my mouth up and require assistance from a glass of liquids.

Since you are getting rads, I am sure they have targeted all the direct areas and all other areas are painted but receive a lesser dose. The RO told me even though no cancer over the midline, they were going to paint 60 grays just in case of small undetectable cells.

Chemo can also kill microscopic cancer cells too. Even though the 3 cycles of TPF for 9 weeks really messed me up, it lets me sleep VERY well knowing there was a full assault to systematically kill any micro cancer anywhere else in my body.

You have a great warrior spirit; you'll be fine in the end, the trip gets pretty bumpy.

Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4