9 down, Another good medical report- Guys the title says it all, I'm pumped, N74TG had a great week. But it gets funny along the way. I mean make you laugh kind of funny, so go get an adult refrishment and read on.

Of all the days to oversleep, doctor day is not a good choice. I never oversleep (well at least not until today). When I look at clock it's 20 minutes until appointment time. So, get up, jump into a pair of jeans and tee shirt, brush teeth, forget shaving, no time, out the door.

Yesterday, RT gave me two packs of dental rolls. I'd asked for them so I could put them in upon arrival and walk into treatment room ready to go. So, driving over (8 minute drive) I realize I have to get rolls installed. Fortunately I have a cup of water sitting in cup holder, so it's tear open the package and dump them into water. It went down to like 29 degrees last night, but water hadn't frozen YET, but on putting in the rolls, it turned into a frozen slushy instantly. I'm sticking my fingers in to pull one out to squeeze it out and intstall it, but I'm having to fight all this ice. My fingers are freezing, I'm trying to drive the car. I get one out, squeeze it down, install it and this frozen thing hits one of my fillings, not cool, it brought stars to my eyes. With frozen fingers I finally get them all installed and arrive at treatment center. I walk in (one minute late). My RT is standing at the door, hands on hips with NOT a happy look on her face. I say I'm sorry to be late and between what seems like clinched teeth she say it's okay. So I literally run down the hall to the treatment room jump on the table, apoligize to her assisgant, who say no problem (sometimes we run late too). We get strapped down and treatment started. She doesn't come in room today and she doesn't say okay hun we're getting started.

Rads go okay, though I did lay there for at least 5 minutes before first field administered. I think she was punishing me (not sure though).

So rads are finally over, they hand me my file and say go see the doc.

Nurse weighs me, lost 3 lbs this week, but hadn't had brekfast yet today, so nurse isn't too bothererd. She asks the standard stuff , any diahrrea, any nausea, how much fatigue, are you using the Aquaphor, how much how often. (I need to use it more).

Then it's into doctors exam room. OOOH, we didn't do this last week. He comes in says open up and say ahhh. Of course he grabs a tongue depressor and mashes until I gag (I think he does that to check gag response, sadistic SOB, sorry, no profanity on the forum).

He says I see no cancer this week. I say huh, what does that mean, he says it looks like a normally healing surgical site. I ask for dimensions, he says 1cm deep and 1cm diameter, full of exudate. I look puzzled and he says pus. He says I'm happy with what I see, you are healing normally, and radiation is having a positive effect on the cancer. So, what questions do you have for me today. Imagine that, he assumes I will have questions.

So I tell him I'm still bothered by this radiation only versus chemo and radiation question. . Do you think I need to be having chemo also. He almost immediately shakes his his head NO. I ask him to explain further. He says excuse me a minute and leaves . I think boy I've pi$$35 him off now. He returns 5 minutes later with a copy of the NCCN guidelines for the treatment of my specific diagnosis. There it is in plain English, for T2N0, with no lymph node involvement...radiation only. He further adds 1. the VA wouldn't pay for it because it isn't part of NCCN guidelines and 2. the bad aspects of chemo for this diagnosis are worse than the benefit to be gained, so until your diagnosis changes it's no chemo for you.

I say, doc this one piece of paper answers all my questions for today. He said I thought it would.

I go home, I'm satisfied he is doing the right thing. That matters a lot to me. So, on the way out I tell the receptionists (2) the story about the frozen dental rolls and ask about my angry RT. They both laugh and say, oh yea, Christi doesn't have much of a poker face. If she's upset you will know it immediately.

On top of all this good news I got to have dinner with a lovely woman tonight. Like I said before, it's been a good week for N74TG.

Maybe I'll take Christi a cup of Starbucks tomorrow morning.

All you guys have a great weekend.

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 11-14-2013 08:10 PM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good