So sorry to hear that you have joined the same boat as us Gloria.

Just to share some of my advise that I have acquired over the past month or so which I hope may be of some assistance.

a. The doctors will never be sure as to whether or not the cancer in the lungs is metastatic cancer or a new primary as SCC looks exactly the same no matter what part of the body it is actually from. However, as the duration from the cancer appearing from the lung to when treatment was completed is relatively short - there is a very high chance that it is indeed metastatic and should be treated that way.

b. It is important that SYMPTOMS caused by the cancer in the lungs (i.e. shortness of breath, back pain etc.) is taken care of asap. From what I have researched, chemotherapy will be the only course of treatment offered and will be used for palliative purposes. Tomotherapy and/or IMRT may also be used to reduce the tumour size in the lung but should only be done if symptoms are severe and/or may cause further issues later down the track.

c. Unfortunately, curative chemotherapy is not possible when a H&N cancer moves into the lungs and has shown high levels of toxicity & very minimal impact. There are certain clinical trials that your MO may be able to introduce you to and one that I recommend is treatment using Reovirus. More info on current trials can be found @ http://www.oncolyticsbiotech.com/clinical-trials

d. Mind over matter is something that ALL the doctors have told us during this last round for me and Jen. Keeping a strong, healthy mind coupled with spending time with loved ones is the single most important thing you can do when stuck in situations like the one we are currently in.

As someone who is only a few weeks ahead of you in this journey, I understand the confusion, anger and "what now" that must be consuming you and I hope some of the points I have outlined above gives you some answers.

Best of luck and my prayers are with you both.

6/8/12: Wife 33y/o with no risk dx with Stage IVa SCC L of Tongue(T4aN2bM0)
3/9/12: Induced birth @ 36 weeks - Baby Hunter!
11/9/12: OP - 3/4 Partial Gloss, Radical ND & Tongue Rec.
24/10/12: 33xRad + 7xChemo
7/12/12: Tx complete
21/3/13 & 21/6/13: NED
24/7/13: SCC in Lungs - OP: Lobectomy (VATS)
29/1/14 passed away