Listen I was just as stubborn probably more so than he sounds and I was not getting enough cans post Tx and one day appx 2 weeks POST Tx I was so weak, so frail, so ashen looking my wife said she was taking me to the hospital. I initially refused and she said "OK so just lie there (in the bed) and DIE!" With that she left the room. I couldn't talk so I had to wait for her to come back which she did after a few minutes. I was ready to concede. I was admitted and the docs said I was 24 hours from dying. They inserted a nasal tube in me; I used it for 2 weeks; pulled it out at home myself and it saved my butt! Of course she was the one that really saved me.

Moral is to have them insert the nasal tube. It only takes a minute or so and it was totally pain free. It makes a HUGE difference because there is no longer any pain from trying to swallow and it cured my nausea which was my main nemesis during recovery. As I said, after I knew I didn't need it anymore I called my doc and he gave me the OK to pull it out myself. The rest has been all up hill except the getting older part.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.