All,

Thanks so much for reading my post and sharing your stories. I feel very inspired to hear about similar situations, and feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I am very nervous about the surgery. The hemi-glossectomy and partial neck dissection is scheduled for Wed, 1/23.

I don't still have the full diagnosis as I only got my PET scan done this last Sat. morning, so I hope to hear more tomorrow. I did have an MRI and met with an oral surgeon. He does not think it has spread, but that it is stage 2 based on the size of the tongue tumor (2.8 cm). So, I guess I am T2N0M0, as far as I know. I would like to get the confirmation from the doc before I build my auto-sig. :-) They think it was caused by HPV but still not sure. I am a former smoker, I quit 9 days ago cold turkey and haven't looked back since.

My surgeon thinks they will need to remove 1/3 of my tongue. They are not sure if they will need to fill it up with a skin graft - he said they will assess it first and then see how big the hole is. He gave me the option to do a skin graft from my thigh, or have skin cells from a cadaver used. Has anyone every heard of this? I voted for the cadaver as he said the results would be the same, and I wouldn't have another wound or scar to deal with. I don't care about scarring, but one less wound would be nice. As long as the results are the same, I don't feel squeamish about the cadaver.

I'm still not sure about the neck dissection. I wrote down a note about drainage bags but I was pretty much in shock when I was taking notes, so I don't know. I just pray it hasn't spread. I supposed the PET scan will be the final test to gauge that. I also hope that getting the first results from the biopsy on 12/31 with surgery scheduled for 1/23 is soon enough. I want it done with this surgeon, he is supposed to be one of the top two in Kaiser in the bay area. So, I did wait another week and he said it should not be a problem.

I will post more once I have the final results...probably in a different topic forum I presume?

I did speak with my employer and will be on short term disability with 60% pay - we are planning 6 weeks for now but I hope to go back sooner. They have been very gracious and i know my job will still be there when I'm better. It was very nice of them considering I've only been there 6 months...some like my boss are even donating some of their unused PTO to minimize the financial impact.

I just pray, pray, pray that I don't need radiation and chemo. But, if I do, I know I will have support here to help me through that scary time.

Thanks again to everyone who responded...I don't feel alone!
Gina

Female, age 35
SCC Stage IV, left oral tongue, 2.8 cm
T2N2bM0, HPV+, Former Smoker
Dx 12/31/12
1/23/13: Hemiglossectomy (1/3 of tongue) & SND
Cancer found in 4 lymph nodes, 1 with ECE post surgery
1 tx Cisplatin, 30x iMRT (6 wks)
TX ended 4/15/13