Hi Gina!

Like the others, I'm sorry you had to find this site. I'm fairly new here too, but definitely appreciate the information I've received from everyone here! You have already received some GREAT information in the previous posts.

My advice is to take what you KNOW so far and work with that. Try not to worry about what may or may NOT happen. Yes, it is good to think about possible actions that may need to be taken, but try not to worry about it. Write down questions you have so you don't forget them. Take someone with you to your appointments. They often think of things you don't and remember more than you do.

I was diagnosed with tongue cancer when I was 36. Mine was also at the back of the tongue, but not considered BOT. It was right next to the molars. I was diagnosed on 8/21/08 and got an appt with the ENT surgeon right that afternoon. He ordered labs, PET, and set up appointments with MO and RO. After a frantic week of appointments (my sister flew in to go to all of my appointments with me), I had surgery on 9/1/08 to remove the cancer and lymph nodes on right side of neck. Thankfully, no nodes were involved, margins were clear (3.5 cm tumor) and I didn't need further treatment. I know many others are not as fortunate.

I was out of work for about 5 weeks, went part-time for a week, then back to full time. I did have trouble speaking for a while. (Well, I didn't have trouble speaking; people just had trouble understanding me. :-) ) I saw speech therapist for just a few weeks which helped tremendously! Now only I can tell that there's a difference in my speech, its so minor.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow at your ENT appointment. Good luck! You CAN do this!

:-)
Teresa

DX 8/21/08--SCC right side of tongue; Age 36,non-smoker,casual drinker
SX 9/01/08 to remove cancer & right modified neck dissection--margins good, lymph nodes clear(T2N0M0); no further treatment.