Hi Gina,
My husband is a Kaiser member, but was treated out of the system because Kaiser in our area does not support that level of therapy. I think your area may support more sophisticated treatment, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you get your local Kaiser book out, or look it up online, there will be a process for getting a second opinion, which is never a bad idea, regardless of where you will ultimately be treated.

When you see the ENT, bring a list of questions to ask the doctor and write down the answers. If you have a notebook, you can staple everyone's cards to it so you won't lose them.

I would also suggest that you look at the NCCN treatment guidelines on this site NCCN Treatment Guidelines - print the ones for oral tongue and oropharyngeal (base of tongue) since we don't know which it is and bring them with you. These guidelines constitute a project plan for treatment - but what we don't know is exactly what type / location your lesion is, as well as the exact stage. They are NOT fun to look at, but will give you a general idea of the possibilities. it will also impress the ENT; the more that you and your doctors think of yourselves as partners in this fight, the better.

Best wishes - this is a heck of a way to start the new year.
Maria

Last edited by Maria; 01-03-2013 04:54 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.