Gina, there are ways of boosting the calories without actually eating more in terms of volume. For example, add skim milk powder to whole milk to make fortified milk and then use the fortified milk to make smoothiies. Try to eat a lot ( I told people I was fattening up my husband) prior to treatment and eat all your favorite foods to your heart's desire. I tried very hard to keep my husband at 2000 calories a day and still, he lost weight in the course of the treatment. I totally agree with Christine that you need as much energy as you can find to fight the cancer and to help the body repair itself. Hydration is vital, it can make the difference between a feel-good day and a crappy day.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.