Yes, I think that is the Dave Cheryl is referring to. Dave was 20 years old at diagnosis.

The other person, Samantha had just turned 23 when she passed away. Much to young!!!! She left behind a young child who was only 3 years old.

A couple years ago we had a nice young girl from the UK who was only 17 when diagnosed. She sailed right thru treatments. Last I heard, she made a full recovery and is doing great. She was the youngest one on the forum, I also met someone who was diagnosed at 17. His was caused from chewing tobacco. Even younger, I have seen a girl from MT who was first diagnosed at 15, but it was not SCC, hers was a form of childhood type cancer that appeared in her jaw area.

Ive been here for over 5 years and have seen at least 10 members who have been 25 or younger at the time of diagnosis. Most have gotten thru it but sadly a few havent made it. One young girl Stephanie Bradley was such a sweet young girl who went thru all kinds of after effects of her battle with oral cancer. She was another one who sadly passed away, I think she was only about 26 when she died. It breaks my heart seeing patients go thru so much at such a young age. Just goes to show you that oral cancer doesnt discriminate, it hits both young and old, rich or poor and all races and religions.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma