Hi there... As of nov 4, I am 18 mos post treatment. I was diagnosed Dec 20, 2010. It was a dismal Christmas. Made a little better by the fact that my family Dr. was very optimistic, I had two CT's that said the cancer hadn't spread - which by the time I had surgery it had - to one node - and that it was defined as well differentiated. That got me through christmas and one of the top surgeons in Canada (a pioneer in his field) performed the surgery. I was a T2 as well. I healed quickly, then went on to do radition and chemo despite the fact that according to my surgeon - "in his opinion I am cured" - he was taking no chances and removed 40 lymph nodes - the one I had literally popped up between DX and surgery... max 6 weeks. CTs don't pick up microscopic cancer. That's why chemo is imperative as is rads.

Neither are easy... rads being the worst, but you will get through it. I am not a control freak perse. However, where my health is concerned I am super diligent. I used to be a nurse and know how people get lost in the fray etc... and things do get missed. That said. Advocate for yourself, educate yourself, and push yourself because despite all the support in the world this is your journey, and you alone are the only one who can motivate yourself.

Try not to freak out either... I know it's hard not to do. I am a few years older maybe 10 but I never smoked, drank, did drugs, and I've been a veg head for years. I attribute my cancer to chronic irritation of that area.

The one thing you need to accept is the fear. It will always be there, it's normal. Despite being okay for the most part, everytime something unexpected pops up in my mouth, or every appointment, or every scan, you get nervous. I've gotten to the point where I try to enjoy every day. be grateful for being here. And the reality is... I have had cancer... but I could just as easily die tomorrow from stepping off a curb, or in a car accident. Do what you can to prevent a recurrence. Educate yourself, look into nutrition, be diligent, seek out the best medical treatment, and best doctors at the best facility. Then believe you've done all you can.

hugs. sorry you had to join our group. But you will get through it.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan