You can definitely tell that my dad had something done on the side of his face. There is a bit of scarring because of his skin graft and previous surgeries. But you know, in pictures you can't really tell - kind of strange. His talking was affected; he is harder to understand. And he has not really eaten solids since the surgery. His attitude is amazing though and I think that helps tremendously. He blends EVERYTHING and drinks it - he seriously is back to his original, healthy weight and he works out daily. He will blend fish with potatoes and broccoli and then add some ice cream for fat. I don't know how he does it. So yes, you can tell by looking at his face and by talking to him, and that was hard for all of us at first. But he is so positive and determined that I rarely even think about those other things anymore. It doesn't happen overnight, so patience is key. Eventually you adjust to a new normal.

Ang - Father first Dx Jan 05 SCC floor of mouth, stage 1 surg/rad treatment; recur May08 near jaw bone surg/rad again; recur Oct10 in jaw bone, partial bone removal no rad; recur Oct 2012, surg. to remove but some left in neck and waiting for treatment recommendation - he is a warrior!!!