Hi Hanima,

My dad had his jaw bone removed and a skin graft in January 2010 and he was in a critical state for almost a month before he started to get better. It was very difficult to watch, so I understand how you feel. Its very traumatic, but keep the faith! My father had a trach tube, a stomach feeding tube, and blood drainage tubes coming out of the sides of his neck. His face was unrecognizable. But after 3 weeks, he started to heal. They were going to put him in a nursing home during his recovery, but said that if I was willing to learn how to care for him then I could. So he came to my home for 2 mos while I cleaned his trach tube, his skin graft, gave him insulin shots, and changed his feeding bag. It was a lot of work, but I knew I was doing the right thing. He got to see his family including grandkids every day in a comfortable environment. All of the care he needed was very unsettling for me, but looking back, I feel much stronger for it. I saw him in such a down state and then I saw him recover. It takes patience, but just know that you are not alone and we are all thinking about you and your father. With your love and support, your father is going to get through this.

Ang - Father first Dx Jan 05 SCC floor of mouth, stage 1 surg/rad treatment; recur May08 near jaw bone surg/rad again; recur Oct10 in jaw bone, partial bone removal no rad; recur Oct 2012, surg. to remove but some left in neck and waiting for treatment recommendation - he is a warrior!!!