Sometimes a little blood when mixed with saliva can look like alot more than it really is. You should mention the bleeding to your fathers doctor.

I cant tell you enough about good nutrition and hydration. This is more important than you realize. It will help him to feel better and make it easier to stand up to the difficult treatments.

Being a caregiver is not an easy task. It takes alot of courage to appear to be brave while you are scared and worried. This forum will help you both thru this. Moral support is important for not just the patient. Some patients need anti anxiety medication to help get them thru and they arent alone, some caregivers need it too. That goes to show you haw hard it is for both sides. I always call caregivers angels as they are selfless and watch over the patient while putting on a brave smiling face. It cant be easy to manage the home, bills, groceries, cooking, cleaning, working and then also to transport the patient and put their needs first while watching them deteriorate slowly before their eyes. Its more than any one person should have to deal with. Dont be afraid to ask friends and relatives for help to give you a break once in a while. Take a few minutes each day to collect your thoughts and take a deep breath. It doesnt have to be anything like an all day trip to a spa, just take a walk around the block or sit on the porch for 10 minutes and relax. Caregivers need care too.

Wishing you both all the best!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy