Welcome to OCF! Sorry you are here but glad you found the very best place for up to date correct medical info and support.

I am another member who suggests heading to a cancer center for another opinion. Surgeons cut and if they arent sure whats going on then you dont want things removed that shouldnt be. Its just a good plan to get checked out by a facility which sees many cases of oral cancer and a whole team of professionals will be following the NCI guidelines to make you well.
Cancer Centers

At this point you should be seeing a dentist to make sure your teeth are in good shape. They should make a mold just in case you will do radiation, you will need flouride trays made. Get the full blood work done including thyroid. Many of us (including myself) have had their thyroids crap out after going thru cancer treatments. Right now, eat all your favorites and make sure you hit up all your favorite restaurants. Your sense of taste will change for a while and swallowing may become difficult so you want to get all your cravings in now. Every person who offers to help you , write down their name and number and let them know you will call on them when the time comes. This battle is not easy but with help it can be much easier on everyone. Dont be afraid or too proud to ask and accept help from friends and relatives.

Since you mentioned Cleveland, I will be there next week as the speaker for the Cleveland oral cancer awareness walk. It would be great if you and your family would come out. You would get to meet other survivors and get some important info about oral cancer. Plus, oral cancer survivors are free!
Cleveland walk

Last edited by ChristineB; 08-30-2012 07:04 PM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma