Hello HD - I too found my cancer through a lump, which they thought was a cyst but turned out to be a malignant lymph node. In fact my first FNA came back negative and it was only when the ENT went in to remove "the cyst" that he knew it was cancer. So I'm going to assume you're getting some kind of modified neck dissection in which they'll remove the cancerous lymph node (assuming that's what it is) and any others they deem suspicious.

Oh and even after what they call a triple endoscopy - this was after my first surgery but before the neck dissection - they never did find the primary tumor. This is not unusual however, so if they never do find yours - which, as my Davidian colleague says is most likely BOT/tonsils/remnant of tonsils (if yours had been removed like mine when I was a kid - I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Keep us closely apprised. There are tons of people here who can help you through everything you're facing. Sounds as if your doc is on the ball!

My thoughts are with you.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18