I am so sorry that you are facing this. I too was told they were going to go through my neck, split my chin/jaw and remove part of my tongue, in the end. They did not have to split my chin/jaw they did remove about 70% or more of my tongue. But I have learned to adapt. My speech is effected but most times it is not extremley noticible to others. They replaced what they took of my tongue, with a graf from my forearm and what is now called my tongue (flap) is fairly tethered to the floor of my mouth. I eat pretty much everything some things I have to dig around my mouth with my finger. But it is ok. I can taste. I think the big thing is to get it all!! I was upset for a while I thought maybe my dr could have been a little more conservative and save some more of my tongue, but now after going on 3 years cancer free and continuing to read these forums I am glad she did what she felt nessesary. I just hope your dr is confidentin his ability to do this surgery successfully. Make sure you have an ent surgeon that specializes in head/neck and tongue cancers.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear