Sounds like you have yourself, your husband and his treatment under control as much as is possible. With support and words of advice from this forum, you will be looking back as a co-survivor in no time.

Yes, TwoCal and Jevity are high calorie drinks as well as Ensure Plus which are all pretty much the same in cal/mL and nutrition (although be aware they have no fibre). Supermarket or chemist bought ones are not "complete" enough and tend to offer extra protein without all the other essentials. They tend to be complementary rather than supplementary.

Good that you have a variety. Alex went through a few before settling on Ensure Plus which made him feel slightly less ill than the others. TwoCal was impossible for Alex and now, the smell of Vanilla (the only flavour we could get) makes us both sick. There is a juice type of one as well (Enliven)if your husband is struggling with the creaminess of the others. It didn't suit Alex, but your husband may prefer it.

Watering down worked for Alex as well although he hated doing this as it prolonged the process (which is part of why he ended up in hospital).

I don't know if we can get Carnation through the dietician here. Certainly it was never offered to us although I did not try the net at the time as I hadn't found this website yet. My early forays onto the net, uncovered a confusing array of body building style high protein drinks which were no good for us and cost a fortune.

That your husband is still eating is a very positive thing -Alex was entirely dependent on drinking or PEG administration from the beginning due to tumour damage and pain. Don't forget the hydration either. Flat soda water may help cut through the mucous - first mouthful may be swished and spat then he can drink the rest. There are many stories here of people relying on flatish fizzy drinks - usually soda or mineral water to help.

Re what finally motivated Alex? It was never about himself or fear of dying which blew me away when I finally twigged. The turning point seemed to be the day I told him I could not bear to be left alone after waiting for him half my life. He took that as his challenge. What motivated me? Research, knowledge and breaking each issue into a series of steps to solve the problem. Using Alex as a guinea pig to try out all the potential solutions. Drove Alex insane but kept him alive enough to start paying back the 649 cups of tea he owes me (currency used for each solution found) grin

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight