Oh Emily, I just read your post abot the great appointments you have had. How could I have missed those? Excellent news about the surgery!!!! Im so happy you found OCF and took the advice to get other opinions.

The surgery you are talking about is similar to what I went thru last August. My lower jaw was removed. It was not an easy time at all. At times I wished I had never done it. Now my face and neck are disfigured and people stare. Now that Ive told you the worst of it....I am so happy its behind me. Sure I dont like looking funny, but I love being alive smile Im almost back to 100% and recently went back to work part time. My ENT has finally gone to seeing me weekly or every other week to every 6 weeks. Some days, I completely forget that I look different so that tells me Ive finally adjusted to my new normal lifestyle.

Your mom needs to push the peg feedings and build up her strength. I found this stuff at walmart, it is 11 oz and has 20g of protein along with alot of other important daily requirements. Ive just run out of it so forget the name but its packaging is purple and silver. They have several good high protein liquid formulas there. Ive added it to my prescription formula along with a can of Carnation VHC. By adding an extra can of formula, it will help build her up in preparation for the surgery.

There have been several other OCF members who have undergone this same operation recently. Maybe they will give you some info too.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma