Hi Dodie! We actually had a somewhat positive appointment this morning - I guess as positive as can be. Needless to say her Dr couldnt believe the manner in which we were treated at Duke. He absolutely didnt believe it was dermal mastatases. He says the tumor is in the right mandible and jaw line..same place it always seems to come back at. He said this surgery will cause her face to be very disfigured - practically losing half of her beautiful face. We are prepared for that. I just want her to live.
He felt confident in doing the procedure himself but was totally onboard for us going to Houston and he set us up with all of our records and faxed everything over.

He also sent us to an oncologist that we LOVED. She finally got on the pain patch (only 25 mcg right now so its not doing much) morphine and something for the shooting pain in her nerves - I cant remember the name of it. As of now none of it seems to be working although she went from 9am to 4pm with NO PAIN MEDICINE. Shes exhausted and cant go to sleep. Hopefully the stuff will kick in soon.

Anyway I am much more hopeful today and excited about going to Houston. Thank you for thinking of us!!

my mom, age 59.

12/08 surgery & 33x rad
4/09 recurrence
5/09 surgery & 35x rad
12/09 recurrence
1/10 surgery. peg tube, trach, fibula free flap
6/10 recurrence. double chemo treatments.
8/10/10 finally at peace in heaven