Laurie, you're getting the best advice possible from everyone here. My experience is much like the rest, although I didn't have a PEG and just forced myself to drink using viscous lidocaine to numb the area as much as possible.

As far as taste, yeah, I can empathize. I too found that sweet things were about all I could tolerate for awhile, maybe for 2-3 months after the end of rads. But it does gradually come back. I began with the blandest, softest stuff I could find - soft boiled eggs, vegetable soup, thin oatmeal. After 10 months I'm still not much interested in spicy things, tomatoes, sushi and a few other goodies I used to love. Part of that is the radiation-induced acid reflux, part the loss of sensation on the left side of my tongue, part the narrowed throat and part who knows what else. But since everything else has returned I don't see why all my desire for food won't eventually.

I'm sorry Roy is struggling, but you should both know that things will improve! He's lucky to have someone like you to take care of him.

I send my best courage to you both. Please keep us informed!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18