Here's one I've been using for Gordon (who is pre-diabetic and may also be lactose intolerant) since around the middle of week 4 - when he had to give up his beloved oatmeal:

1 Boost.
1 cup of fortified milk (4 parts whole milk and 1 part skim milk powder all mixed together. I doctor his milk with 15 lactaid drops per litre of milk and you have to add an extra 15 drops per cup of skim milk powder).
2 TB of whey protein powder.
1 Boost
2 scoops of ice-cream (I use Chapman's, because they make a "no-sugar added" variety that is also lactose-free. Breyer's has a "no-sugar added"
ice-cream, but it isn't lactose free).
Fresh fruit - usually strawberries, mango, papaya, frozen blueberries, or canned peaches. Bananas don't work as they sting his tongue. You have to play around with the fruit a bit to see what works.

I stick the plastic juice jar with the shake into the freezer for a couple of minutes and then into the fridge. It seems to be easier to get down if it's really cold.

We showed this recipe to both the nutritionist and the doctor and they thought it was fine (for its purpose).

Unfortunately we can't use yogurt any more because something in it stings his tongue. The soy yogurt tastes weird (to him), so we might try Greek yogurt which is creamier and may not be so sour. Silken tofu has been suggested as something else to blend into the shakes.

He gets these shakes 4 times per day. If he can get a "no-sugar added" pudding down or an extra glass of fortified milk, then so much the better, but this is happening less and less. He's now within a day of finishing week 5. He doesn't like the shakes particularly, but they're all we've got at this point, and he's trying to get them down for me. He drinks very, very slowly.

He still hasn't lost weight - was 79 point something kg. last week and up to 80 point something kg. at the beginning of this week, so we are holding our own.

Hope this recipe is of some help to those with special dietary needs.
Anne

Last edited by Elianne; 04-08-2010 11:17 AM.

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.