Cathy, it would be interesting to look at the differences between outcomes/treatments in pts in US vs.UK. Not sure if anything has been done along those lines.
With regards to f/u scans, Peter, gets a head and neck and chest scan every 6 mos. I believe for the next few years. His baseline CT scan showed ? chest nodules and they repeated it at 3 mos but no changes in size. The oncologist told us the frequency of scans is dependent on how worried they are about reoccurances but they always do more the first few years and then do less but it will be at least once a year. I guess it varies with each individual.
The head and Neck surgeon videoscopes his throat and larynx every 2 mos now for the next year. I find this to be the most reassuring since you can visualize everything. Sees the RO and oncologist every three mos. Everyone puts their hands down there and gags him and they all have said the scans are needed in conjunction with their limited ability to see or feel anything
He just had his second round of scans and we are waiting for his results which is very nerve racking. I only hope they are ok.

I'm in a similar situation since Peter forgets he has cancer. This is how he copes with it, denial. He totally blocked out the whole past year which is probably good. I only wish I could! he just wants to get on with his life. I make all his appts and ask all the questions. So I do all the worrying for him
These guys are tough to deal with as pts!
Nancy

caregiver to spouse, 55 yrs, dx 9/09 SCC BOT, T2N0,nonsmoker, nondrinker, HPV 16+ ,Lt hemiglossectomy, lt modified radical neck dissection, lt tonsillectomy,PEG 11/08 removed 2/09, 30IMRT, CT neg 4/09, neg CT 10/09