I'm new to this site. Just figured out that FNA must stand for fine needle aspiration. My brother saw his ENT presenting with right neck lump sometime in late 2004 or early 2005 I think. Then in May 2006 he went back to same ENT with lump much larger & the dr. finally did FNA. Diagnosis was squamous cell head & neck cancer of occult origin. The day before he was to do a radical neck surgery on my brother Mikey, he phoned me to discuss the prodedure and while on the phone with me he was shuffling thru my brother's chart ... and said "looking back in your brother's records, I see that he came to me with this same lump over a year ago. Did you know that?" I said yes I did. The doctor than astonished me by saying & I'm quoting here: "I don't see where we did a needle aspiration at that prior visit. I don't know why we didn't stick a needle in it then, but it could have been cancer then... but now we'll never know." This doctor was well aware that my brother is a heavy smoker and drinks too much. Both of those habits should have alerted him to FNA the lump. I was so shocked I almost shouted into the phone ... I bet if it was your brother or your child or your spouse you would definitely have STUCK a needle in it and found out if it is cancer right then ... not a year later. I didn't say that to the Dr. as he would be cutting my brother's neck at 7:30 the next morning. Mikey just had PET yesterday and same dr called me to saw the good news it it showdd NO cancer but he said Mikey's jaw problems could leave him terrible disfigured if they have to remove much bone. I just found this out this morning. Mikey doesn't know yet. I glad to have this site to vent and find some answers from other care givers and survivors.

Mikey's Sister
Patty