Posted By: kenswife Kerri - 10-22-2012 08:34 PM
I just wanted to let you know that Kerri was admitted today to MGH when she went for her treatment. I talked to her husband who was home with their kids and he said it is for a combination of pain, dehydration and issues with her PEG. I think this is the best place for her until they get her more comfortable. It will be hard on her being away from her precious children but hopefully this will give her more strength to get through the final treatments.
I know she will be checking in on these boards when she is up to it so if you aren't friends with her on FB please leave words of love and encouragement for her here!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Kerri - 10-23-2012 03:00 AM
Jill, thanks for posting an update! Ive been worried about her. Treatments can be so darn hard on some people. Im sure she is upset over not being home with her children. While being in the hospital really stinks in cases like this its the very best place for her. Hope she is well enough to come home very soon.
Posted By: EricS Re: Kerri - 10-23-2012 07:59 AM
Love you sister, you have a "why" in that beautiful family of yours my dear, keep your chin up and keep swinging! You're a badass survivor my friend!! I believe it!!
Posted By: slim Re: Kerri - 10-23-2012 02:45 PM
Jill, thanks for the update. I will leave her a message on FB. She is probably where she needs to be to get hydrated and better pain control. It has to be so difficult not being home with the kids but in the hospital she can just worry about herself. I will continue to pray for Kerri. Hope the hospital staff can make her a little more comfortable. Wanda
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Kerri - 10-23-2012 05:16 PM
Thank you for the update on Kerri. I hope they get the problem straightened out. She's in the best place soon it will be over and she will be on the road to recovery.

((Hugs)) Kerri hang in there. I think about you often.

Connie
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Kerri - 10-24-2012 04:55 AM
Thanks for posting the update on Kerri. I know she would rather be home with her family, but sometimes a hospital is the best place to be.

Kerri, I hope you hospital stay is short and you�ll be back home with your family soon.

{{{Hugs}}} and prayers coming your way!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 10-24-2012 12:03 PM
frown sorry she's having such a tough time of it - it seemed to be the case from the outset since she had symptoms so early. Hopefully she'll get what she needs from the hospital and be able to focus on treatment an healing. Do they have award service available where we can send her a pick me up? Thanks so much for posting I had been thinking about her as well.
Posted By: kenswife Re: Kerri - 10-24-2012 06:05 PM
I sent some flowers I will check into any other service for cards, etc.
Posted By: kenswife Re: Kerri - 10-25-2012 12:11 PM
I couldn't find an award service online.
I have her room number and address if anyone wants it you can PM me or I can give you my home address and I can send them to her house. No ETA in when she will be released at this point.
Posted By: kenswife Re: Kerri - 10-27-2012 10:01 PM
I heard from Kerri's husband. She is done with chemo and has 2 radiation treatments left so she should be done in Tuesday!! They are hoping she might be able to go home in Wed.
Posted By: misskate Re: Kerri - 10-27-2012 10:38 PM
Thank Goodness she's almost DONE! Poor thing. Hope you feel better soon Kerri. KATE
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 10-28-2012 05:27 PM
That's great more power to her.
Posted By: kenswife Re: Kerri - 11-03-2012 07:06 PM
I just got off the phone with Kerri! She was well enough to call me! She completed treatment on Tuesday but is still in the hospital. Her WBC is still lower than they would like so they are hoping she can go home on Wed. She has benn having issues all along with her PEG tube. I think they have replaced it 3 times already. I was impressed how well I could understand her! She misses her family like crazy but is pretty drugged up so she sleeps a lot. Her husband has been amazing taking care of their 2 kids! She thanks everyone for the well wishes and she will be back on the boards soon!
Posted By: KP5 Re: Kerri - 11-04-2012 12:34 AM
Thanks for the update on her!
Kathy
Posted By: aimlee311 Re: Kerri - 11-04-2012 01:08 AM
So relieved she is done! I hope her road to recovery gets easier from here on out...
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 11-04-2012 03:04 PM
Oh god that's so great!l time flies! Holy crap! So glad she's done!
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Kerri - 11-04-2012 07:34 PM
I'm glad to hear she is done with treatment, and now on to the healing and recovery phase. Thanks for they update!
Posted By: EricS Re: Kerri - 11-05-2012 12:21 AM
Daniel is awesome, I don't know how he kept up with their two little ones and everything else on his plate. That guy is my hero. I'm so glad to hear that Kerri is finally done, lots of thoughts and prayers for that beautiful family.

Love you my friend!
Posted By: SUEZ Re: Kerri - 11-05-2012 01:13 AM
I missed her posting and I've been so busy with work, missed being laid off BUT got another job on top of my regular job so very busy all day long and very tired between work and home life. So glad she is done and going to start feeling better! And yes Eric so proud of her husband good job he's doing! Or actually a GREAT job!
Posted By: julieann Re: Kerri - 11-05-2012 05:46 AM
Wonderful news that Kerri is finished with her treatments and I pray for her to have a wonderful recovery, and getting home to her family. I know she's so proud to have a husband who adores her and cares for the family while she is getting better. Everyone misses her and welcomes any updates.
julieann
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Kerri - 11-05-2012 12:43 PM
Thanks for the update!!! Looking forward to hearing from Kerri soon.
Posted By: misskate Re: Kerri - 11-08-2012 03:38 AM
Kerri! thinking of you and sending you happy good healing thoughts.... and I hope you are recouperating
Posted By: Kerri Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 01:16 AM
Hey, there! It's me, just poking my head in! Jill, thank you so much for doing this thread. This is my first full day at at and I feel some moments are better than others. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with medication management, feeds, and IV hydration ever other day. I have Dan's help to keep my head on straight and for encouragement.

I still don't feel up to much computer time, but I will keep you all posted as best as I can.

Thank you for all of your cheer-leading and support through this hard time. It was Dan who told me as I was hobbling through the the kitchen remarking of how weak and tired I feel..."remember, they told you recovery takes weeks and months, not days to get back."

I really am a lucky girl!

Love to you all, my dear friends!
Posted By: zengalib Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 01:35 AM
You go, Kerri! Everybody is rooting for you.
Posted By: Maria Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 03:46 AM
Hi, Kerri - so glad to hear from you! Keep up with your nutrition and hydration and the hobble will develop in a shuffle and then a full stride. Just remember to mix your activities with plenty of healing rest and sleep. All the best to you!
Maria
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 04:21 AM
Yeah Kerri!!! So happy to see you are up to posting. So sorry to hear everything you have been thru! Yes, recovery does take time. Seems like the first couple weeks after finishing are the worst and then one day you wake up and you dont feel quite so bad. It will be 2 steps forward and 1 step back for a while but soon you will be feeling a little better.

Hang in there!!!! You really will feel better soon.
Posted By: EricS Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 04:26 AM
OMG!!!! I AM SO HAPPY to read your message Kerri!!! Love you sister!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 04:50 AM
So glad your home and beginning to climb out of the hole - a few weeks from now should be better... You can get through it. Hugs!
Posted By: julieann Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 05:39 AM
Oh yea! Kerri's back. Not feeling too well, I'm sure, right now, but things will get better for you as days pass. Keep us informed on what's happening and how you're doing. My prayers were, and are for a successful recovery for you. You sure need it.
julieann
Posted By: slim Re: Kerri - 11-09-2012 01:33 PM
Yeah! So glad to see you posting and that you are home. PLEASE remember to let others take care of you and keep up with hydration and nutrition. Your body has been through a lot. Be patient with yourself! Big hugs your way!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Kerri - 11-10-2012 03:02 PM
Kerri

Are you trying to out macho me again? wink
You just have to beat me in recovery, don't you?
Seriously, you can take your time because I am whipped.
Thank you for your post, where I can finally say without getting deluged by criticism: Listen to your husband !
I am so glad you are out of the hospital.
Each time the recovery takes longer I have found out.
Each time the recovery is harder. But each time, we can and do recover.
Everyone is cheering you on here. You have been an inspiration to me with your courage, your struggles yet never giving in to despair or drowning in pity. I keep telling myself if a young mother like you deals with this so graciously, shame on me for some of my thoughts. Don't worry about not feeling like getting on the computer, everybody understands.
Take care of yourself
Charm
Posted By: saxicola Re: Kerri - 11-10-2012 04:39 PM
Hi Kerri, great to see you back posting. But don't feel you need to spend too much time online, it can be very tiring. I really the worst is behind you now. Sally
Posted By: Kerri Re: Kerri - 11-10-2012 11:53 PM
Thanks for all of the great messages, but I must have some of you fooled because I feel as though this has been me at my weakest, full of self pity and loss of fortitude. I know I could not do this without Dan and my amazing support system, including all of you. With this, I say a humble "thank you".
Posted By: EricS Re: Kerri - 11-11-2012 07:03 AM
Charm, Kerri...you guys are my heroes seriously. I draw strength from you both everyday.

I constantly think about my struggles that try to overwhelm me, and then I read a post or see a picture of either of you and think...no I don't have real problems right now, so I can deal with whatever I have in front of me.

keep fighting the good fight guys, Love you both.
Posted By: Kerri Re: Kerri - 11-11-2012 11:34 PM
Love to you, Eric <3
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Kerri - 11-12-2012 01:44 AM
So glad to see updates on how you are doing, Kerri. What a great guy Dan is for being such a good support and giving you good reminders! Be sure and get the rest you need. Don't worry about "self pity" - What it really is, is "compassion" - and it's ok to have a little compassion for yourself for you've been through some tough times. Be good to yourself, get the rest you need and the fortitude will come. If you have the choice to post or to rest - I hope you rest. smile We will all be around thinking about you and sending you positive recovery vibes.
Posted By: ESikon Re: Kerri - 11-12-2012 03:08 AM
So good to see Kerri and charm posting....my heros!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 11-12-2012 05:11 AM
Hugs hugs hugs..l you got through it. You are stronger than you know!
Posted By: ConnieFL Re: Kerri - 11-12-2012 10:26 PM
Kerri,

Glad to see you back with us and got through it all. You have a great husband and caregiver.

Hope to see you on here more in the coming days.

Happy you are on the way to recovery.

Take care...((Hugs))
Connie
Posted By: KerrisDan Re: Kerri - 11-15-2012 02:24 PM
Hi all,
I'm Kerri's husband. Kerri finished her radiation/chemotherapy treatments on 10/31, and stayed in the hospital an extra week to ensure that she got the hydration/nutrition she needed. She came home on November 7 and has been taking IV fluids through her chemotherapy port to stay hydrated, along with feedings through the PEG. She was progressing very well, but at a followup visit on November 14 the doctors didn't like how her chemo port looked, and were concerned it might be infected. She had a procedure to have it removed the same day, and is now in the hospital under observation while they grow cultures to determine if it was infected or not, and which antibiotics to give if it is. She will probably be in the hospital for a week or so.

Other than the possible infection Kerri is doing well, just very frustrated at the setback. I think she has been progressing very well considering what she has been through. I know she appreciates all the support and kind wishes from everyone here, even if she is not able to respond to them all the time. Thank you everyone.

I will try to post updates when I can.

-Dan
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Kerri - 11-15-2012 02:33 PM
Dan, welcome to OCF! Im so glad you have joined our group. Kerri is very much loved around here. We think very highly of her!

Im very sorry to hear about her setback. She has been thru so much already! But in the whole scheme of things, she is in the home stretch now. Hope the infection is not anything serious and can easily be taken care of with some strong antibiotics.

Best wishes to Kerri with her continued recovery. Also wishing you all the best holding down the fort at home. I know its not easy handling everything on your own but you are doing a great job of being a super caregiver to everybody!

Posted By: Amberesque Re: Kerri - 11-15-2012 02:39 PM
Yes, I've noticed that Kerri is a jewel around here!! Best wishes for super speedy recovery!! She is missed :-)
Posted By: debandbill Re: Kerri - 11-15-2012 05:30 PM
Dan,

Thank you so much for keeping us posted. You and Kerri have really been thru it but we are all hoping that you guys can get ahead of this and get back to some semblance of sanity.

Hugs to all of you,

Deb
Posted By: KP5 Re: Kerri - 11-16-2012 02:19 AM
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the update. Hoping they get this figured out quickly to get your bride back home where she should be.
Great job with the kids and house and caregiving!! It's a tough job. Sometimes I think it's harder on us than on our loved one. There is so much helplessness involved! I don't know about you, but I don't do well when I'm not in control!! LOL
Hang in there and thanks again for the updates. Please send her our love!
Kathy
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Kerri - 11-16-2012 03:03 AM
Thanks so much, Dan - for coming on here and giving us updates on Kerri. You are doing such a great job of holding things together. Hope she recovers quickly from this latest setback and can be home soon with you and the children. Please tell her how much we are all thinking about her and hoping for some much better days ahead.
Posted By: Shauneen Re: Kerri - 11-16-2012 03:10 AM
Thanks for letting us know Dan. We all miss her and hope she will be back soon <3
Posted By: ESikon Re: Kerri - 11-16-2012 04:14 AM
Thanks for the update! Praying Kerri gets over this port infection with flying colors!
Posted By: slim Re: Kerri - 11-16-2012 03:14 PM
Dan, Thank you so much for the update and for taking such great care of Kerri and the kids. I know first hand how difficult it is to be "the spouse" and watch someone you love so much go through all of this. Continued prayers for all of you! Hope the infection gets cleared quickly and Kerri can come back home to rest and recover. I work at a hospital and know that it is difficult to get any rest there.
Posted By: misskate Re: Kerri - 11-21-2012 05:55 AM
Hi Dan!

Oh that must have been very frustrating for her. Sending her love and strength to get through it all and back to good health.

KATE
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 11-21-2012 03:53 PM
Dan... give her a hug from us and tell her to stay strong. Hopefully she'll be home soon!
Posted By: KerrisDan Re: Kerri - 11-21-2012 07:44 PM
Hi all,
I just glanced at the thread and realized that it's not up to date anymore. Kerri came home on Sunday Nov 18. She is taking IV anti-biotics for MRSA in her chemotherapy port. Fortunately her blood cultures came back negative for MRSA. She is taking IV fluids every other day and feedings through her g-tube. Things are going well, but she is frustrated at being hooked up to one thing or another almost constantly. Her frustration is also a reason why she hasn't been on the boards for a while--she just wants to get better, but realizes that it will be a long haul.

It's great to have her home. Thank you to everyone who has been giving her support. I know it means a lot to her.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Kerri - 11-21-2012 08:48 PM
It's so great to hear from you Dan, and how wonderful it is that Kerri came home on Sunday! Glad that things are going well. Please just tell her how much we are thinking about her and hoping for more steady progress and good updates. We will be here whenever she is ready to come back. You really a great caregiver. I'm so glad Kerri has you!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Kerri - 11-23-2012 12:21 AM
So glad she's doing well. It will take a bit but she will get there. Hugs!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum