Thread Like Summary
Brian Hill
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#201790 02/27/2023 12:44 AM
by Pogi87
Pogi87
Hello to all,

I've just registered today for the OCF and hope to be able to learn a bit. I've had throat CA for over two years now.

My biggest problem currently is excess mucus, night coughs, no saliva, and am NPO, just had a hospitalization due to aspiration pneumonia, requiring a PEG tube placement.

I hope to share also and help others when able.

My best regards to all affected by this problem in any way.
Liked Replies
by Diego
Diego
Hi and Welcome, June 2022 I too was diagnosed with 2 kinds of oral cancer , scc on the left side tongue and hpv related on the tonsil and in the left node of 1 . I have a long way to go but I also have come along ways . Recovery feels so slow sometimes. I had a hemiglossectomy from forearm skin to rebuild tongue. 12 hour procedure . Had 33 Rads and 7 chemo sessions . Taste is barely coming back now but is improving , no saliva yet but becomes a problem during exercises and at night . Taking Pilocarpine but doesn't really work. High Protein shakes I make & drink 4 per day , eat some soft foods in-between. A lot of the side effect have past but there still alot left. So far I'm here today and optimistic in the future .
1 member likes this
by Pandora99
Pandora99
I am sitting here trying to think of all the things I wished I had asked 19 years ago!

The basics are a good place to start
1). What exactly will you be doing
2) will you be doing a free flap (involves moving tissue etc into your mouth from a limb then covering that spot with a graft. (And no - I have never figured out why it is called a “free” flap!)
3). How often after the surgery will I see you (Surgeon)
4). What painkillers will I be given and for how long.
5) Do you have a list of things I can and cannot do post surgery - ie brushing teeth or showering, etc
6) who is my GO TO PERSON for questions
7) what do you recommend I use to communicate (Boogy Board, Pen/Paper - Whiteboard ?
8). Will I have a tracheostomy and if so for how long (I was not prepared for this one!)
9). How soon do I see the speech language pathologist?
10) when will the FULL post SURGERY pathology be ready to be discussed?
11). How long will I be in hospital
12). How much help will I need at home?
13). What can I do to get ready for the surgery ?
14). Will my tumour be HPV “typed”
15). What is the clinical staging of my cancer? I understand that may change after final pathology
16). What tests will be required pre snd post surgery
And so many more. I am sure others will chime in.

Donna. (Pandora99).
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics