Thread Like Summary
LisaO
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#201524 09/23/2022 1:38 PM
by Laurie62
Laurie62
Hi all, I am new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I really appreciate this forum as there don’t seem to be many places to turn to for firsthand information about OC. I was diagnosed about 5 weeks ago with SCC on the right side of my tongue. I am now 17 days post op after having a partial glossectomy and a selective neck dissection where 30 nodes were removed. Nodes turned out negative and the margins of the removed tumor were also negative. I do not need any further treatment and for that I am truly grateful. I did have a 6 year history of lesions turning out to be dysplasia. I have a different doctor this time, and hope that his encouraging facts about my cancer not returning will be true. Just wondering when I can expect the numbness and swelling to go away. I have numbness on my tongue (a fairly large chunk was taken out) and a lot of numbness on my neck which feels so odd! Although I’ve been cleared to eat whatever I want, right now that is just not physically possible. I’m looking forward to getting back to as normal as possible. Is this realistic? Up until now, I have found that family and friends have been pretty much hands off, no contact once they heard the word “cancer.”
Liked Replies
#201665 Dec 20th a 05:05 AM
by StephenS
StephenS
I hope I’m not out of line by saying, Welcome.

It’s a crappy situation we are all in, and I believe that is why it’s so important that we support each other.

I congratulate you for having the strength and courage to reach out within this forum. It took me years before I felt comfortable enough to share.

I had also been diagnosed with SCC on the right base of my tongue and have undergone a hemiglossectomy and radical neck dissection after Radiation Therapy and Chemotherapy.

Keeping it real, it’s a very difficult road to travel. I hate to say it (because it has been used so frequently during the pandemic) but your body will adapt and find the new normal for you.

Honestly I have so many words of encouragement however my iPhone battery is nearly depleted.

Hang in there. You are not alone. There are many people here who can help you in so many ways.
1 member likes this
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23