Hi Maria

I was diagnosed with Osteoradionecrosis (ORN) in 2007. Extensive surgery was performed in April 2008 to reconstruct my mandible (lower jaw) using bone from my hip.

Have you any indication yet of how much of your jaw they need to reconstruct and where they are taking the bone from ??

Radiotherapy had also damaged my tongue flap, so therefore that also had to be reconstructed again using tissue from my hip area. I have had over 1/2 of my tongue removed. As we know everyones situation is different but my surgery took about 14 hours to do.

I met with 3 different Maxillofacial surgeons prior to my operation. It was important to me that I was informed with all the details of any possible complications that could occur. In my experience some surgeons are not good at communicating all the details. Nerve damage around my lip could have been a possibility with me, causing one side of my lip to drop, but thankfully it was avoided.

I have some small metal plates that are screwed in around my reconstructed jaw. There were 3 plates inserted by the maxillofacial surgeon and plastic surgeon during the surgery, but one had to be removed in October last year.

Before the surgery to reconstruct my jaw I had 30 Hyperbaric oxygen treatments which is pretty standard procedure before that kind of surgery.

I hope this helps a little.

Karen