Hi Glenn,

Welcome to the forum. You will find tons of good info and many helpful people here. Congrats on getting through the surgery and clean margins. Both big steps and huge to getting back to living life to the fullest. I had the same surgery in 2020. I was stage 4. They found cancer in one node but still inside the node. I was also told radiation would reduce my recurrence by half which was ultimately worth it for me.

Radiation was a difficult path. For me surgery was more intense but recovery and improvement was seen almost daily. Radiation was a slow burn and recovery takes months and years. In fact, the tooth and gum damage will continue probably through life but my issues have started to slow down. I have had many cavities, crowns, and root canals since rads. Food and flavor issues are still stabilizing nearly 3 years later but I can eat almost anything now just not too spicy. The loss of saliva (about half normal) is permanent. Everything you heard is correct.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, I would make the same decision. Keep doing your research, your mind and heart will eventually align on this decision. Keep us up to date.

Stay safe and keep the faith,
Nels