Boston....if your father is throwing up after doing the feedings then you need to fix the feedings. Water them down and slow it down. I went thru heck with that for weeks, so Im very familiar with this.

Ask for a feeding pump and try doing the feeding s overnight while he sleeps. It should be set very low like about 30 or 40 to start. Add 3 cans of 'food' and about 1.5 cans of water to the bag. Make sure he is propped up on 2 or 3 pillows for bed. After a couple nights he will get the hang of the nightly feedings and will sleep very well with the sound of the pump. Then during the day he will only need 2 more cans.

By slowing down the feedings and watering it down it will be much easier for him to tolerdate. Of course he still should be drinking water as much as possible if able.

Also ask for a visiting nurse to come. I dont know how, but I had one check on me for a few weeks while I learned to use the feeding machine. They were assigned to me after a breif hospital stay for malnutrition and dehydration. It was due to not being able to keep down my feedings.

You should also ask the doc for prescription formula. Its much more potent than ensure and available thru prescription. Mine was paid for by my insurance company.

Best of luck with the continuing treatments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma