Philly,

MAKE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND IT"S VHC (560 calories) not the other 10 or so types of CIB. It took me 3 tries with Walgreens before they got my order correct and $24 is very cheap, in fact the cheapest I've seen. I paid $30 3 years ago and that was cheap then.

I too was very proud and happy I didn't let them put a PEG tube in me for, to me, it was just another slap in my face to say I was sick, very sick, and I didn't want to be sick!! I was also (still am) a very stubborn patient and didn't like being told what was best for me. That said, that mentality cost me a lot of grief as it got near impossible to swallow which led to a whole host of other problems like dehydration, weight loss, nausea, constipation, and on and on. The only benefit I MAY HAVE as a result of not having the PEG is that I have zero swallowing issues and that's not a foregone conclusion.

His condition, if like the majority of us, may very well get far worse than it is right now and may last weeks past the end of his Tx so if it really gets rough at least consider the nasogastric tube that's inserted through the nose directly into the stomach in a non surgical procedure.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.