Philly,

Please be careful. W/ 11 treatments to go, the biggest weight loss is likely yet to come. The 2 weeks post treatment are unbelievable. My husband, who was also proud of not having a feeding tube, ended up within 2 pounds of medically needing one AFTER treatment. He made it through, but there was one week post treatment where whe had home health care provide IV hydration daily or he would have been hospitalized and in need of a tube. Those men and their pride. ;-)

I remember trying to cook anything that Dan thought would work. He had some odd combos...I made everything he requested and in the end threw a heck of a lot of it away. One thing that worked for a pretty long time was home made mac n cheese. It was a cooking light recipe, but I did everything possible to make it a cooking heavy one! If you think it might work, I'd be happy to send you the recipe.

Poached eggs worked for awhile too. Dan didn't like the liquefied food. He did do the Carnation VHC until it got too thick for him...by the time we diluted it, it was too much fluid. He had a lot of Boost and other liquid supplements. Once food stopped tasting good, he had an easier time switching to the supplements.

In a way, your husband is lucky that his sense of smell went away. My husband's didn't and it made eating (or trying to) very depressing to him.

On a good note, he's doing great now! He gained all his weight back and then some (which he didn't really need). :-)

Good Luck!!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.