Minnie,

That is great news - I am so happy for you! I take comfort in the fact that my CT last week showed nothing in my lungs as well. It makes me feel like I have a fighting chance. Great idea to have some special family time before the surgery. Our family loves camping and the outdoors, so my husband is taking us camping this weekend for a little down time. My 2nd neck dissection surgery is set for 1:30 Sept 18 -I wish my arrival time was as early as yours -I don't get there till 11:30 and of course nothing to eat or drink after midnight - no food is OK, no drink is going to be extremely difficult-my mouth will be glued shut by that time. I sip water constantly - guess I'll just have to swish and hope I don't swallow! How do you plan to deal with that issue? I wonder if a couple of ice chips from time to time will be OK? Guess I can call my nurse, but I have a feeling I know what she'll say.

I wish you well with your upcoming surgery-I'll be thinking of you. You sound very upbeat and optimistic. Today the shock and fear has worn away quite a bit. I had to take an Algebra test this past Tuesday and I was in a mess emotionally - thought I had bombed the test and was so upset because I just started back to school, want to become a clinical dietition to work with head/neck patients and now have the cancer recur, not to mention dealing with my children's reactions. Anyway, got that test back today and made a 93 - I am taking that as a sign that I can kick this cancer again, stay in school and continue with my plan. Here's to the fight - you have been an inspiration since I joined OCF a couple of years ago and I wish you all the best.

Pam

SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV- 2/04 - 40 Rads 1/2 conventional, 1/2 IMRT; 3 chemo treatments consisting of Carboplatin/Taxol/5-FU; Right Radical Neck Dissection
7/04; scans and pathology clear