Kerry,
if I understand this, they put him on a patient monitor? This a little different from a EKG. The things that you describe were daily events for me. It can be very frightening to watch this and to answer your question, yes it is normal. I didn't talk to anyone at that phase -I had no voice and it hurt too much. I had this thick stringly mucous that was like bubble gum. My temperature was always running around 99-100 degrees, which is typical as well. Once again, if it goes over 100.5 then you need to call the doctor. Another tip for you, if he needs hydration, try to arrange to have it done in infusion (at the chemo center). It's much faster than going to the ER. And no, he is not capable of taking care of himself right now, but in few weeks, he may start to turn around - be patient.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)